Monday, June 1, 2015

This Baby of Mine

Rizal Yunianto
THIS BABY OF MINE

PLAYERS
THE HUSBAND, 30, good-looking man
THE WIFE, 27, a thin woman
THE NEWS ANCHOR, 25, a good-looking woman
THE DOCTOR, 40, a small man
THE POLICE, 50, a well-bulit man

SCENE 1. In a living room THE HUSBAND is sitting on the sofa and watching TV, while THE WIFE coming from behind bringing beers.
THE WIFE (putting beers on the desk). Honey, I have something to tell you.
THE HUSBAND (still watching TV and drinking the beer, not excited). Yeah, what is it?
THE WIFE. (smiling). Honey, I’m pregnant.
THE HUSBAND (surprised, standing up and hugging THE WIFE). Really ? Oh thank God.
THE WIFE (sitting down on the sofa with THE HUSBAND, cuddling). I hope this will be a new start for us.
THE HUSBAND (concerned). You should take a break from your job. I don’t want you to become too tired. I don’t want anything bad happen to the baby.
THE WIFE. Don’t worry, I won’t push myself too hard. After all, we need the money.
SCENE 2. One month later, THE HUSBAND is getting ready to go to work, and THE WIFE is making a breakfast.
NEWS ANCHOR (on TV). A kidnapping that target pregnant women are happening in the city. The last victim, Michelle Ridley, 32 years old, were found dead after reported missing 3 days ago. She was found in the trunk of her own car in the airport parking lot. She was seven months pregnant. The fetus was missing. It seemed that the kidnappers cut the fetus and removed it because there was a wound in her stomach that caused by a knife. Michelle was one of many victims of the pregnant women kidnappers. The kidnappers are now on the loose. We adviced you to stay at home in the night, especially if you are pregnant, because the kidnappers hunted the victims at night and they picked random pregnant women.
THE HUSBAND (approaching THE WIFE in the kitchen). Honey, do you really want me to leave you alone? I could tell my boss that I am sick and have a week off.
THE WIFE (reassuring). No, I am fine, I can ask my friend Amy to come by here. She also pregnant, so we will take care of each other. I won’t leave at night alone, don’t worry about me.
THE HUSBAND. Okay then, I’ll leave now, just be safe. Okay? And call me if anything happen.
THE WIFE. Okay, you too.
SCENE 3. Six month later, In a hotel room where THE HUSBAND is working in another town for a couple of week.
THE HUSBAND (talking to himself). I don’t feel comfortable for leaving my wife at home. I hope she’s okay. If anything happen to her, I won’t be able to forgive myself.
(phone ringing)
THE HUSBAND. Hello ?
THE WIFE (panic). Honey, I need your help.
THE HUSBAND (worried). What happened?
THE WIFE. Just come home okay, I really need you.
THE HUSBAND (talking to himself). What happen to her? Is she okay? Is our baby okay? (trying to call THE WIFE back). Damnit, she doesn’t answer the phone. What if this have to do with the kidnappers the other day? Oh, I can’t think of that. I should go home as soon as I can.
SCENE 4. THE HUSBAND arrives at his home. It is dark outside. THE HUSBAND coming into the house.
THE HUSBAND (yelling). Honey, where are you? (entering the basement and finding THE WIFE lying on the floor) Are you okay? What happened? Why are you covered in blood?
THE WIFE (weak voices). Our baby... in the bathtub.
THE HUSBAND (running to the bathroom and find the baby). Oh my God. What happen to our baby. What has happen here?. Did the kidnapper did this? I better called ambulance. I hope our baby is okay.
SCENE 5. THE HUSBAND is in hospital talking to THE DOCTOR.
THE DOCTOR. sorry sir, we did the best that we could, but we can’t save the baby.
THE HUSBAND. What ... what about my wife?
THE DOCTOR. That’s the problem sir. She is fine right now, but what worries me is that she had no sign of giving birth.
THE HUSBAND. But how did that happened?
THE DOCTOR. We still investigating this case, we asked your wife about it and she said that she cut her abdomen to remove the baby, but we also didn’t find any sign or wound on her stomach.
THE HUSBAND (confused). So, where did the baby come from?
THE DOCTOR. We don’t know sir, but I think that the baby isn’t yours.
THE HUSBAND. What do you mean ? She was pregnant.
THE DOCTOR. We already asked the police about this matter and try find the real mother of the baby. I will leave for now, if have any question you can ask me later.
THE HUSBAND (talking to himself). The baby that I was waiting for a long time, now’s gone. Worse, doctor said that it wasn’t my baby. I remember when she was four months pregnant, she said that her stomach hurt. I asked her to go to the doctor, but she refused it. Said that it’s normal on pregnancy. After that, I saw a change in my wife. She didn’t want me to look at her stomach anymore. Said that it made her look silly. I didn’t want to argue with her, so I just did it.
A few moments later, THE POLICE coming to THE HUSBAND.
THE POLICE. I need to talk to you about your wife, sir.
THE HUSBAND. What is it?
THE POLICE. Do you know about the dead body in your bedroom?
THE HUSBAND. What? There’s a dead body in our bedroom. I don’t know anything about that, because I was so worried about my wife, I immediately leave the house after the ambulance came and took my wife. I didn’t check the bedroom.
THE POLICE. Your wife is the suspect who killed the dead body in your bedroom. There was a wound in her stomach from a knife. We assume that your wife cut her to took the baby’s out. We identified the victim as Amy, your wife’s friend. She killed her friend and took her baby.
THE HUSBAND. I didn’t know that my wife could even do that. I can’t believe that.
After a short conversation with the police, THE HUSBAND looking at THE WIFE’s room.
THE HUSBAND (talking to himself). After all these years, I realized that I’ve been lived with a monster. She’s not the woman that I used to know.
THE WIFE (looking at THE HUSBAND, grinning) I’d kill to be with you again.

No comments: