Monday, June 1, 2015

Poor Baby Johny

Yohana Febry Chris Suprapto
POOR BABY JOHNY

PLAYERS
JOHNY, 8, skinny, innocent yet cheerful young boy.
MRS. ANNE, 54, hearted-kindly, a little bit old-fashioned and modest.
TEACHER, 36, a kind yet careless teacher.
MR. HEADMASTER, 48, a friendly and wise headmaster
STUDENT, 10, a little big fat yet friendly kind of student.

SCENE ONE. In a small village which far away from the city, there lives an old woman with a son named JOHNY. He is 8 years old while her mother is in her middle age. Since his father passed away 2 years ago, they live such a kid without parents. MRS. ANNE works as a household assistant at a house to another house every single day. On the other side, JOHNY must sacrifice his education for they don’t have much money to afford his school. One afternoon day, when they have a tea while sitting on a branch of a tree in front of their small cottage, MRS. ANNE start the conversation with her son.
MRS. ANNE. Did you miss school already, Son?
JOHNY (putting his hand up to her mother’s forehead. Laughing a bit). Huh? Why are you asking me that suddenly, Mom? Are you okay?
MRS. ANNE. You know I always thank God that I have you as my son. You never complain about what were we going through all this time. You cheered me up instead.
JOHNY (giggles). Come on, Mom. Don’t mind me, life’s beautiful!

SCENE TWO. After those short talks, MRS. ANNE looked so enthusiast to earn much money so JOHNY can go back to school. After a month, she asks him to apply for a school again and he agrees it happily. Around 12 a.m at St. Louise Boston Elementary School, JOHNY comes to the school in order to take some register form by himself. Then a young teacher come over him.
TEACHER. Hey kid, you looked so confused. Can I help you?
JOHNY. Mr. Headmaster asked me to go to the office to take the register form.
TEACHER (taking the form on top of the cupboard). Oh that form? Wait, I’ll take it for you.
JOHNY (looking around the office). Alright, Mam.
TEACHER. Here you are, Boy. Don’t forget the competition will be started on next Monday. See you around.
JOHNY (shouting loudly). Wait.. What?! What competition, Mam?

SCENE THREE. On his way home, JOHNY just can’t stop reading the form because he find it so strange. He begin to wonder what she really means with the competition.
JOHNY (saying to himself). Ah, maybe it’s kind of the orientation of new student nowadays? Alright then.
MRS. ANNE (waiting in the front door). How was it, John? Have you registered in?
JOHNY (looked terrible, giving no answer, looking at the form).
MRS. ANNE (inviting JOHNY to the living room). What’s wrong, kid? Has something bad happened to you? Tell me.
JOHNY (sobbing). How can I not be confused, Mom. I received such a weirdest rule from this form.
MRS. ANNE. Well, let me hear that.
JOHNY. First, I must have teeth!
MRS. ANNE (laughing). Are you joking now? You even have too much teeth right since your teeth are such a mess.
JOHNY. Second, I should be able to say ‘Mama’!
MRS. ANNE (acting child-likely). It’s pretty easy! You even be able to talk ‘mimi-mumu-momo’, can you?
JOHNY. Third, I have to be able to walk well.
MRS. ANNE (patting Johny’s back gently). You are even able to climb up our roof, John. It’s a piece of cake!
JOHNY (saying in tears). Hmm.. This fourth condition was the hardest one, Mom. I should wear a clean diaper.
MRS. ANNE. What?! Do you read it wrongly?? A boy like you will need more than two meters of fabric to make a diaper.
JOHNY AND MRS. ANNE (keep in silence).
MRS. ANNE. Ah I see . You can just wear my rags, John. Problem solved.
JOHNY (sighing deeply). There is one more condition. I must bring a baby pacifier by myself! What kind of rule is this, mom! Is this rule even exist?

SCENE FOUR. On Monday morning, right before the flag ceremony is started, JOHNY makes his way to the school field with a piece of fabric covering up his body. His appearance shock most student there. One of the students asks him.
STUDENT. Hey little brother, why do you dress that way huh? Where’s your uniform?
JOHNY (hesitantly). Ehmm.. Uhmm.. I just want to abide the rules as the way it is.
(opening up the fabric covering his body as the headmaster and teachers come up)
STUDENTS (screaming out toward JOHNY). Aaaaaaawww!
MR. HEADMASTER. Hey John, what do you wear ? Why are you dressed that way?
JOHNY (giving the form to MR. HEADMASTER). I’m sorry, Sir. I just abided all the rules as the form it is.
MR. HEADMASTER (taking a look at the form, frown as he read the form). Oh my God, this isn’t register form, John. This is a form for Baby Health Competition held by our school to celebrate World Child Day.
STUDENTS (laughing out loudly). Hahahahahaha... Oh Poor Baby Johny!
MR. HEADMASTER (shaking JOHNY’s hand). Well, that’s enough, John. You don’t need to wear clothes such that cause you’ve already registered to be a new student here. Congratulations!
JOHNY (smiling happily). Thanks a lot, Sir!
TEACHER. I’m sorry Johny, this is my fault. It was me who gave you that form. It’s a misunderstanding.
JOHNY. It’s all right, Mam. The most important thing is I can study here anymore. I’m so excited and I won’t never wear that diaper again.

No comments: