Monday, June 1, 2015

Bad Night

Abdul Rohim Indra Wibowo
BAD NIGHT
PLAYERS
BEN WILLIAM, 29, young handsome detective
NICK JOHNSON, 34, Dean’s Husband, tall
DEAN JOHNSON, 28, Nick’s wife, beautiful
DANNY MAX, 41, a pharmacist, fat
MIA JOHNSON, 8, Daughter of Johnson family

SCENE I. In an office room, 7:24 PM, BEN is sitting behind his desk, hanging a call from NICK.
BEN. You’re making a mistake.
NICK. I’m sorry you feel that way, Mr. William. Our decision has been made.
BEN. But.…
NICK. There’s nothing more to be said. Your final check will be in the mail tomorrow. Dean and I thank you for your services. (phones beeping).
Silence
BEN (gulping down his old Meiro) (sigh).

SCENE II. A day ago, at MIA’s school and around, there are cops investigates the case about missing children for last three weeks. MIA had just gone a week ago. BEN is also at that school trying to help the cops. However the cops seem so effortless.
DEAN. So how is the result, sir?
THE COPS. We had asked some important people in your daughter’s school. It seems like she had just run away. Relax, we will find her soon.
DEAN (unsatisfied face)(walking toward Ben). Excuse me, you are….Ben William the detective, right? Would you like to help me? About this case, my daughter has been lost too, sir. Can you find her for us?
BEN. I’m not sure I can mam, but I will try to help you find your daughter.
DEAN (smiling and handshaking). Thanks a lot sir Ben William.
DEAN (walking away).
BEN (looking at a group of old ladies).
OLD LADY1. Danny Max?
OLD LADY2. Yes, my ladies. Did you know that he is the owner of a pharmacy store in our town?
OLD LADY3. The one who keep a production plants outside of the town?
OLD LADY2. Yes. I think that he is so weird, creepy man, and you what, he….(their sounds fade away as Ben walking away).

SCENE III. Night at BEN’s office, he is planning to take a closer look on MAX’s property. And the phone is ringing.
NICK. Hello, Mr. Ben? It’s me, Nick.
BEN. Yes, can I help you, sir?
NICK. About my daughter, I would like to thank before. But we are sorry, we don’t need you to keep looking into our daughter again, Mr. Ben.
BEN. You are making mistake.
NICK. I’m sorry you feel that way, Mr. William. Our decision has been made.
BEN. But.…
NICK. There’s nothing more to be said. Your final check will be in the mail tomorrow. Dean and I thank you for your services. (phones beeping).
silence
BEN (gulping down his old Meiro)(sigh).
BEN (taking his Magnum)(walking out).

SCENE IV. At MAX’s house. BEN hides behind the closest tree to the main door after seeing MAX’s property. MAX coming out from the door with two figures. And it is NICK and DEAN.
BEN (jaw drops).
NICK. Can we see her now, Mr. Max?
MAX. Oh absolutely, absolutely my dear, Nick.
DEAN. Please hurry, Sir. We are so worry about her.
MAX. relax, we’re going now. Just follow me.
SCENE V. They are going into the woods. Ben follows. They arrive at a bonfire set. The deaths.
NICK (shouting). What’s the meaning of this, Max? You said you were taking us to see our daughter!?
MAX. And so I have, Nick, so I have. She’ll be here shortly. The fire, you see. We’ve found it draws them.
DEAN. Where is she, Mr. Max? It’s just a bonfire set.
MAX. Calm down, Mrs. Johnson. Ah, here she is now.
Mia appears from shadow with emptiness on her face.
DEAN (running toward Mia and hug her). Oh, my God! Honey!
Suddenly, Mia sank her teeth into Dean’s neck.
DEAN (screaming).
NICK (struggling to pull Mia off Dean). Baby!
Other children appear from shadow and attack Nick.
BEN (running away).

SCENE VI. BEN sprints through the forest. But he falls down because a root gets his foot, sends him rolling down and his head kisses a tree. And when BEN awake, tied up, and Max stands in front of him, behind the bonfire set.
MAX (holding Ben’s Magnum, smiling). Ah, Mr. William, good you’re awake. You have my admiration. Excellent detective work these past few days, if not the most discrete. I hope you didn’t think you were being especially sneaky. (sigh). It would have gone easier for you if you would have just taken the hint when I had the Johnsons let you go. They were so frantic at the thought of being reunited with their daughter. They were fully prepared to do any little thing I asked. But here we are. I must say, this is truly and excellent firearm (rubbing at the Magnum).
MAX. Brother, I’d tell you to simply walk away from this but you’ve missed that chance already and it’d be quite impossible now for reasons. However, as I’ve confessed my admiration, I’ve decided to give you a sporting chance. There’s a very realistic possibility you’ll bleed out before the children get hungry again. Good luck!. (walking out into the woods).
(The snows around Ben are slowly turning into red. Small shapes slowly walk towards him. He began slipping into unconsciousness, freezing flesh. His last thought before his entire world was consumed by blackness and pain was that he guessed he’d been right at the office after all.)

No comments: