Monday, June 1, 2015

Karina Rahma Hadianti
A GIFT FOR PARENTS

PLAYERS
EMMA HARPER, 25, wants to take revenge of her parents’ murderer
MIA HARPER, 27, a newly mother, family-care
BOB, 56, a Black charitable man
JANE JOHNSON MILLER, 48, a firm and cruel politician

SCENE ONE. New York has never been colder than that time. Snow is going to fill the city that day. EMMA in her black coat walks alone through the downtown. She is going to Cypress Hills Cemetery. When she arrives there, she walks to her parents’ resting place, which gravestones are inscribed with her parents’ names, Alex and Linda Harper. EMMA puts some red roses there.
EMMA (looking at the gravestone). Morning, Mom, Dad. It’s me, Emma. (putting the roses into the grave) I miss you. Today, it’s been seventeen years, right? (her tears drop, closes her eyes, and exhales) I promise I’ll find who is behind all of this. I promise I’ll find somebody who sent him to kill you.

SCENE TWO. EMMA leaves the cemetery. She is going to MIA’s apartment. EMMA knocks the door and MIA opens it.
MIA (opens the door, a bit shocks). Emma. Come in. (EMMA enters the apartment, sits on the couch, while MIA takes a cup a chocolate to EMMA)
EMMA (takes the cup). Thank you.
MIA. Well, you move here? To New York? (quite for a second) How’s D.C.? (EMMA nods) Uhm... When?
EMMA (drinks the chocolate). I’ve been here for... a week. Nothing happen there.
MIA. Then why?
EMMA (putting the cup into the table and exhales). I know it’s not him, Mia. I’m going to find it. It’s not Bob.
MIA. Oh My God, Em. How many times I say to you? All of evidences pointed to him. Don’t you satisfied? You should trust it!
EMMA (speaks more loudly). Yes, he did it, Mia. Yes. But he was sent by someone. He is a good man. His family were kind to us. He doesn’t have any reason to do this, Mia. After he killed our parents, look at his family! They became rich. Where was it come from? Do you think he got money from lottery? No, Mia. No! He was sent by someone to do that and he was paid off. Don’t you see that? (her tears drop and she exhales) Would you help me, Mia? To find our parents’ killer?
MIA (shaking her head and stands, walking to the window, empty gazes). I’m sorry, Em. I have other important things to do. I have a husband and kids who need me. I don’t have time to that.
EMMA (stands). Really, Mia? It’s for our parents. Your parents! It is the only gift that we can give to them. A justice.
EMMA leaves MIA’s apartment disappointingly.

SCENE THREE. Snow is decreasing. EMMA is going to the prison to meet BOB. In the prison, EMMA is waiting for BOB in the canteen. A prison officer comes with BOB. BOB’s handcuff is released. BOB is sitting in front of EMMA. EMMA stares at her former neighbour. After they keep silence with other for a minute, BOB starts to speak.
BOB. Dear my beautiful lady. How are you, Emma?
EMMA (smiling and stuttering). Hey... Bob. Em... I’m... I’m fine.
BOB. You’re alone? (EMMA nods) Huh, Mia doesn’t want to see me anymore, doesn’t she? (quite for a second) Uhm... Don’t want to talk about it ya’, okay. Then... Uhm... How... How’s Mr. Bob then? Remember it, Em? (EMMA smiles)
EMMA (laughing). Black Bob and Mr. White Bob, ya.
EMMA and BOB are laughing together.
EMMA (confusingly). Bob... (suddenly sobbing)
BOB (nervously). I did it, Emma. I admit it. I... I’m sorry, Emma.
EMMA. Bob, tell me... Who sent you, Bob? Tell me everything.
BOB (exhales). Are you ready to hear it, Emma? (EMMA nods and BOB deeply stares at her) One more time I ask you, are you ready?
EMMA (nodding). Ya.
BOB. It’s... It’s... J.J.
EMMA (frowningly). Who is J.J.?
BOB. I can’t explain more, Em.
EMMA (begging). Please, Bob, please. Just... just tell me who is she... and... why... why she did that.
BOB (exhales). J.J. was a homecoming queen in her highschool. Everything she wanted she would get, including Alex. For eight years they were in love. But Linda changed everything. She succeeded to make Alex happier than usual. For Alex, Linda was not just an intelligent and beautiful woman, but she was also a light for his heart. Meanwhile J.J., she kept pushing Alex to do whatever she wanted. It made him bored and finally he asked to break up. J.J. didn’t accept. Alex married your mother, Mia was born, you were born. As his friend and his neighbour, I never saw Alex so happy like that, Em.
EMMA. What happened then, Bob? How... how about J.J.?
BOB. It was spring on ninety six, after Mia’s ninth birthday. Alex was assigned to Boston. (shakes his head) God, I already advised him. Don’t go there, Alex. Jane was there. But he said no. He said that he will avoid her. He... he did go there. Oh, Dear Lord. (covering his face)
EMMA. Calm, Bob, calm. It’s okay, tell me.
BOB (shaking his head with covered face by his hands). No, Emma. I couldn’t tell it anymore.
EMMA (shaking BOB’s hands). No, Bob. Please. Hey, look at me, Bob. Look at me! (BOB is looking at her and feeling guilty) I’m... I’m his child. I am Alex’s child. It’s okay, Bob. Just... just tell me. There is no more secret. Okay? Tell me, tell me everything.
BOB (exhales). One day, that woman... Jane... she flirted your dad. She flirted Alex! She was married and she flirted Alex! She was sneaking in to his apartment. Said that her husband throw him. Alex helped her. He wiped her tears, he allowed her to stay. Going to grocery or to work, they always together. Until that night. He... he slept with her. For a month he didn’t call his wife Linda. Instead, he called me, he told me everything. (shakes his head) Oh Lord, I know it wasn’t his fault. It was Jane’s fault. Until he realized it and he moved back to New York a year later. Jane followed him by move to New York with her kids. But Alex always avoided her. Jane didn’t accept that. She called me, she yelled at me. (exhales) She asked me to kill both of them, Alex and Linda. She said that Alex threw her and Linda made her jealous. At that time, she threatened me, if I didn’t kill them so she will call somebody to kill my kids. She said that I’m Black, I’m poor, and I was in debt. People wouldn’t listen to me if I tell the police. So, I did that. I... I’m... I’m sorry, Emma. (suddenly BOB cries, EMMA also cries)
EMMA (wiping her tears). It’s okay, Bob. Really. It’s okay. So... now... is J.J. here? In New York?
BOB (nodding). Of course. You must know her. She is... she is the deputy mayor of New York.
EMMA (shocks). Jane... Jane Johnson Miller? Isn’t... she? Who... who having affair... with my dad? M... murdered them?
BOB. Affair, jealousy, broken, anger, ya. Perfect motive. Ya. She did sent me, ya.
EMMA. Oh, God. What a cruel bitch!
EMMA leaves the prison. She is going to her apartment and calls Jane’s office.

SCENE FOUR. EMMA prepares herself to go to JANE’s office. She is scheduled to meet JANE. In JANE’s office, she is waiting. EMMA looks calm, but actually she is impatient. After the receptionist invites her to enter JANE’s room, EMMA enters JANE’s room.
JANE. Hello, Miss Emma Harper. You called my receptionist earlier to ask me a favor. What can I do for you then?
EMMA. So you once helped me when I was going to find my parents’ murderer, Ma’am. About three years ago. Did you remember?
JANE (shocks but still calm). Murder. Who were they, Miss Harper?
EMMA. Alex and Linda Harper, Ma’am.
JANE. Wait a second. Oya, I did remember. You couldn’t find the file in the police so you came to me. If I am not mistaken, right?
EMMA. Right, Ma’am.
JANE. So, how was the case going? Has it done yet?
EMMA. I’m afraid it’s not, Madam Deputy Mayor.
JANE. So, what’s now?
Quite for a second. EMMA is speechless.
EMMA (exhales). Alright, Jane. Now, I want to ask something. Just say yes. The point of this conversation is... actually you sent someone to murder my parents, did you?
JANE (shocks). I’m sorry, Emma. Are you accusing me? It’s ridiculous.
EMMA. I’ll give you a chance to admit it, Deputy Mayor Jane Johnson Miller.
JANE (smiling). I know. I know that this day will come, Emma. You’ve waited for seventeen years to uncover it. Me? I took thirty years to recover my painful heart because of your dad!
EMMA. Thirty years, huh? Being politician is your escapee? From my dad? Maybe you are his whore but he is your only prince, right? (laughing)
JANE (pulling EMMA’s collar, angry). Can you say it one more time, Emma Harper? (pushes EMMA)
EMMA is fallen. But she stands back and punches JANE. JANE punches EMMA back. EMMA succeeds in stands back and pushes JANE to the desk.
EMMA. You... are... a murderer.
JANE. I am. Then why?
EMMA. For me, an eye is for an eye.
EMMA grabs a scissor from the drawer, her hands are shaking. Feeling angry, EMMA stabs JANE in her heart. JANE is immediately going to die. EMMA is looking at her hands that is covered by blood. Police breaks the door in and brings her to the police station.

SCENE FIVE. EMMA doesn’t speak any word. MIA comes to the police station after they calls her. MIA enters the interogation room. There are only MIA and EMMA.
MIA (crying). I don’t believe you did it, Emma. Wh... Wh... Why?
EMMA stares at MIA.
EMMA. It’s a gift... A gift for my parents.
MIA (closing her mouth with her hand). But it’s not a justice, Emma. It’s a murder. Jane is already dead now and it’s because of you.
EMMA (smiling). It’s a justice. An eye is for an eye, Mia.
(MIA is crying more loudly and leaves EMMA. Meanwhile, EMMA is smiling. She knows that she will go to the prison soon, however her heart is relieved and satisfied.)

No comments: