Monday, June 1, 2015

My Father's Fate

Farida Sukma Dewi
MY FATHER’S FATE
PLAYERS
JUSTIN, 14, good looking boy, straight-and-short black hair, wearing school uniform, hard thinking, energic
DAD, 49, handsome and charismatic man, tall, black hair, cool, well dressing in grey coat
RICO, 21, sweet guy, smart, gentle, kindly and polite, wearing black coat and tie
DANIEL, 14, smart, unpredictable, kindly, care person, wearing glasses and school uniform
BEN, 14, careless boy, unpredictable, funny, easy-going, kindly person, have spiky hair and wearing school uniform

SCENE 1. At the dining room in Friday morning, sounds of spoons and plates are coed. In the middle of the room, a large table stands with several chairs surrounded. There are two people sit on them, having their breakfast in the silence. One of the people is a young boy in his junior high school’s uniform. While beside him, is his father with his neat grey coat.
JUSTIN (starring to his DAD, finally start the conversation). Dad…
DAD (seeing his son at glance). Hmm…? What is going on, Justin?
JUSTIN (says hesitantly). Umm… After the school over today, could I go to my friend’s house?
DAD (sounds that there is an objection in his respond). Why is so sudden?
JUSTIN. My friends and I had some home works yesterday, and those are the group works. So we should finish them together within this week, Dad... (JUSTIN really hope his father would grant his request today. He know that his Dad is strict person who do not believe everything easily. Actually, beside of doing his home works with his best friends, he have a plan to go to studio for training their performance in school farewell party. But…)
DAD (answers it without took off his eyes from his meal, instead of his son). No, you should stay at home today…
JUSTIN (tries to persuade his DAD). Why don’t, Dad? It is really important for us. We have no longer time to accomplish our works. It is due to the day after tomorrow… (says in his heart). ‘Okay, I will cancel my secret plan, Dad… but, please… this is serious situation… This is about MY GRADES!!’ (stays keeping his smile whether his heart rather feel hurt).
DAD (continues and ignoring his son’s question). Do your homework at home, you can ask Rico to help you…
JUSTIN (bitting his lip and murmuring in his heart).‘Rico… Rico again…’
JUSTIN (starts saying with angry tone). DAD! Rico is not my school friend! This is my school group task, and the members are my friends and I! So, it will be ridiculous if Rico who are not the student of my school IS DOING the tasks for our team!! (says in his heart). ‘Why it always happened to me?’ ‘How could you to do those to my life? What is my fault until you do that for me??’
BRAKK!! (JUSTIN drops his meal tools on the table harshly).
JUSTIN. WHYY??! Why Dad always forbid me to go out? I feel bored supposed to be a little kid like this!!
DAD (says in calm tone). I don’t want you to go out with those mischievous boys anymore…
JUSTIN (his forehead is frowning). What did you said..?? Who are you mean as the mischievous boys?
DAD. Of course, the two boys who always walk around you at school.…
JUSTIN. Why do you judge them like that?!!
DAD (stays in calm tone and looks at Justin in calm way). You don’t need to know about such thing. The important one is that you have already known that they are not good to be your friend from Dad…
JUSTIN (still saying in angry tone). How could I believe that if I don’t know the clear reason of your words, DAD?! (murmuring in his heart). ‘You don’t know anything about my friends!!’
JUSTIN. DAD! You always restraint me, forbid me to do something outside, even just to do my homework, give me some people to guard me everywhere such I am a prisoner. (starts saying in loud tone). And NOW, you asked me to keep away from MY BEST FRIENDS??
They Are My Best Friends!! You even haven’t known yet about them, so don’t say something without any proves!!
DAD (shouts and rises from his chair). JUSTIIN!! How dare you are speak to your father like that!!
JUSTIN. It’s because you don’t know about ME!!
DAD. What did you say, Justin?!! I’ve raised you from you are small, so I really know what you are…
JUSTIN. NO!! You don’t really know everything about me!!
Then, the silence comes again. The only sound is come from the kitchen, where Mrs. Nani, their maid, washes the dish plates as shake her head. For her, the situation in the dining room is like the next series of quarrels in every daily morning since her worked at this house several years ago.
DAD (states explicitly). I will make it clear for you. I don’t want to hear anything about Rico that will go home without you today… (takes his briefcase and leave JUSTIN alone in his disappointment).
SCENE 2. In the school library, JUSTIN sits on the chair. He comes with his two friends. BEN is rather curious to Justin who keeps silent when they entered in library. They are accompanying DANIEL, their brilliant-and-smart partner looking for some books as the reference of their Biology’s group assignment.
JUSTIN. …..(sits in the silence).
BEN (punchs JUSTIN’s back softly). Hey… Justin, my Bro! Are you going to come at my home this afternoon? (JUSTIN just sees him at glance). I’ve prepared all of the equipments!! So, you will do the practices, and Daniel… (looking at DANIEL who still busy looking for books behind them). He will do the report!! Hehehe… (BEN tries to joke while open a book which DANIEL has gathered, but then he closes and puts it back.). ‘Why I always got sudden headache after looking at those writing…?? I don’t understand those materials about..!!’
JUSTIN (answers without any expression). I don’t know…
DANIEL (guessing, still in his business looking for books at the shelves). Let me guess this… Your Dad didn’t permit you? (JUSTIN just nod).
BEN. How poor you, guys. If I were you, I will escape from my house…
DANIEL (complained to BEN). That’s enough, Ben. As friend, we should help him. Don’t tell anything except you can give good solution! (taking the books from BEN and sitting beside JUSTIN, the opposite side of BEN).
DANIEL (says at length). Justin, these are may be such a punishment for you. You’ve always broke your father’s rule and his advice which you shouldn’t do. And you also ever tried to escape from your home when you want to go out with us. I think your attitudes had blown his stack. If you obey it before, your father maybe tried to trust you as the time goes by.
JUSTIN. I think it will be useless, Dan. That’s My Dad! When I was child until now, he is very protective to me. (his tone voice is getting higher and higher). Sometimes his rules and his effort was driving me crazyyyy!! (directly shuts his mouth and look around, and see all library’s visitors are looking at him sharply, especially Mrs. Bertha, the librarian).
DANIEL. I think that’s normal. You are child of one of the richest businessmen in this city. Your Dad may have his own reason to do that…
JUSTIN (in lower tone voice). But, that shouldn’t be the extreme ones. I cannot visit my friend’s house just for doing homework. He said that I HAVE BAD FRIENDS…
BEN (shouting). WHAAT…???!!. (then also looking around and found all visitors take their death glare on them again).
Mrs. BERTHA. (softly saying). Be calm please…
BEN. … (gives his guilty smile and nods for apologize).
Mrs. BERTHA (says in heart). ‘Be calm Bertha, they are just some boys who never came to library…’
BEN (shocks). Your father said that? I cannot believe it…. A handsome, kindly, polite, and innocence boy like me, is BAD Boy?? (murmuring, felt offense). He should meet me before told like that. I always suggest it every time girl wanted to know about me… (JUSTIN and DANIEL are just starring each other).
DANIEL. I think that’s not the problem, Ben. There must be misunderstanding. You know, when Justin pal up with us, he often came to our home and go home lately. And also there was a moment that Justin having fight with Alex cs because helping you, who hit his girlfriend with your bike.
BEN (tries to answer in lower tone than before). I didn’t hit her. I always passed that small path every time I go home. That’s was her fault, why they hang out at there. So that’s not my fault when she fell down to the river.
DANIEL. And… (rises his point finger). There was also a fact, which may be made Mr. Jimmy believe in his assumption about us! When we are at bus stop yesterday, you found a discarded cigarette, right?
BEN (tries to remember the moment again). Eee… Yes…
DANIEL. And then… you sucked it. Am I TRUE?
BEN. Eeerrr… Yeah. I’m curious about the taste… hehe… (saying with innocence laugh).
DANIEL. THAT’S IT!! (shouts and point up the book to BEN’s face). That’s all because your fool curiosity!! That’s why his Dad judged us as BAD BOYS because at that time HE SAW US!!!
Mrs. BERTHA. Three of you… (smile in front of their desk) ‘Even Daniel too…’ (in her heart)
GET OUT FROM HERE!! (shouting surprisingly).

No comments: