Monday, June 1, 2015

His Last Christmas Gift

Irmawati
HIS LAST CHRISTMAS GIFT
PLAYERS
ATHENA, 22, happy-go-lucky, dark haired popular girl in highschool.
JESSICA, 22, Athena’s bestfriend wearing glasses, a pair of brown eyes with shoulder-length brown hair.
CHRIS, 23, Athena’s boyfriend, basketball athlete build, handsome man, has black hair and a pair of blue eyes.

SCENE I. It is a white christmas eve with no snow falling. Almost every side in Hyde park is filled with colorful light, including the christmas trees, and very crowded and also noisy that it feels like people will instantly miss each other at the park. The biggest christmas tree stands in the center of the park with benches around it. Right under the christmas tree are two youngsters: a boy and a girl. They don’t seem like couple, but soon to be.
CHRIS. Hey, can we talk for a second?
ATHENA. Yes? What is it?
CHRIS. (nervously) To be honest, I’ve been always paying attention at you, every day, every time. I’m not sure if it’s only a crush, or attraction, or even love. But you know, I want to be by your side, always, because it hurts to see you near another boy. So... Would you be my girlfriend?
ATHENA. (a bit surprised then smiles) Do you want to hear a secret? Actually, I’ve liked you since we became classmates a year ago. And yes, I don’t have any reason to say no to you.
(They held hands and hugged each other)
SCENE II. ATHENA and JESSICA meet on their usual hangout spot, a coffee shop near their school. It’s a small shop with mostly wooden furnitures in it and also had collection of books, just like a library. Very comfortable. They always go there for doing homewok, or simply for a talk.
JESSICA. (sits on the chair) You’re so lucky to have him by your side. I haven’t met someone like him too, even my ex can’t be better. (slurping her vanilla latte)
ATHENA. (light-heartedly) I know, he is truly a blessing from God.
JESSICA. Just make sure you won’t dump him in the future, okay?
ATHENA. Why would I? More over, make sure you don’t get jealous of us. Don’t even try to steal him away from me.
JESSICA. (rising voice) NO WAY! Why would I?
ATHENA. Hey, don’t copy my words! (They make weird faces and laugh together.) Anyway, Jess, don’t you think you should get boyfriend too?
JESSICA. No, I guess. For now, I want to remain single.

SCENE III. On every christmas eve, Athena’s boyfriend would always give a surprise for her. Mainly they would be a lovey-dovey couple, and it went on until their fifth christmas eve. Their sixth year was the hardest part of their relationship. Communication became very rare due to their busy job. However, it was also the beginning of something new, something full of happiness, but somehow saddening. Every time Athena asked for a meeting, her boyfriend would mostly refused, saying that he was busy. It continued until a week before their sixth anniversary, their sixth christmas eve. Knowing there was something weird, Athena’s thought was just like freefall.
ATHENA. (murmurs) He couldn’t be cheating on me, could he? (thinks) Ah, no way. Everyone knows he’s the most faithful man in the world. (Mobile phone rings)
(Reads) I’m sorry for being busy these past few weeks, honey. Don’t forget this Christmas eve at 8 p.m. I’ll pick you up. Be prepared! I want to see you in a white dress. Much love and kisses – your dearest Chris.
He remembers afterall. And she know he prepares something special for her just like the years before. The next day she goes to her favorite boutique, buying the best white dress she can find for the big day. Cost doesn’t matter as long as she will look gorgeous.

SCENE IV. Here comes the day she is waiting for. Her boyfriend comes to her house at 8 o’clock. Wearing a white tuxedo, he looks like a gentleman, very handsome! Together they go somewhere. She doesn’t know what will happen, but her thoughts are currently filled with anxiety and her heart beats fast. Thirty minutes pasts and finally they arrives. SETTING. CHRIS’ apartment.
ATHENA. Your apartment?
CHRIS. Yes, honey. (Takes out a blindfold) Before we continue, you must wear this blindfold.
ATHENA. Eh, a surprise? I wonder what.
CHRIS. You’ll know soon. (She wears the blindfold he gave her and walks to the apartment. CHRIS’ room is dark, then suddenly become bright.) Release the blindfold, honey.
What a wonderful sight she had! She saw a white room decorated by colorful balloons and red rose petals. There was small white christmas tree on the corner, full of lamp. On the wall, “MERRY 6th XMAS” was written. She was speechless, unable to say anything due to the excitement. It was different from the passed six years. He never prepared something so complex yet beautiful before. She walked around the room and stopped in the middle.
ATHENA. (full of joy, teary eyes) Thank you so much, honey! I thought you forgot about our anniversary. I thought you forgot about me.
CHRIS. (smiles, takes out a small box from his pocket) I want to give this to you. (Puts the ring on ATHENA’s sweet finger.)
ATHENA. A christmas gift? Or... You proposed me?
CHRIS. (bitter expression, but with smile) I’ve found another girl.
ATHENA. Eh...? (Pauses) What do you mean, honey?
CHRIS. We reach our end. I’m sorry for not telling you this, but I’ll marry her soon.Hahaha.
ATHENA. (frowns) Please stop joking, my love.
CHRIS. I thought we were meant to be together, but after our fifth christmas I realized everything wasn’t fine. It was boring, our relationship. And then I met this girl and I instantly fell for her. She’s different from you. She makes me feel alive and full of spirit. I’m very sorrry.
ATHENA. (dashed outside with a dark face, no tears)

SCENE V. At a time like that she had no one to comfort her except her best friend. And on that day her feet guided her to her Jessica’s house.
ATHENA. (panting, knocks front door)
JESSICA. (opens door) Oh, it’s you. Come in.
(They enters the house)
JESSICA. Came home from a date? (hands ATHENA a cup of hot chocolate, then sits)
ATHENA. (trembling) N-no, Jess. It’s worse! I don’t know where to start. C-Chris is cheating on me! (eyes become teary)
JESSICA. How come?
ATHENA. Today is our sixth anniversary. He prepared everything well. I thought he was going to propose me but suddenly he said he’s gonna marry another girl. I don’t understand.
JESSICA. But you’re not crying? Does it not hurt?
ATHENA. I don’t know. My heart is in pain but my tears just like dried up.
JESSICA. You know, I can’t recall since when we became best friends. But one thing I can remember is you never shed any tears when it comes to something like this. Either that you are too weak or you just don’t care.
ATHENA. (covers her face with both of her hands) I know I’m weak. I’m just an ordinary coward girl. I’m too afraid to cry, I’m afraid to show my weakness. I’m afraid of losing my fiancĂ©e, so I tried to play safe and Chris thought it was boring. Everything was fine at first, but now… I feel like I want to die fast.
JESSICA. Here, here… get a grip for yourself! So, you don’t know the girl?
ATHENA. No.
JESSICA. She’s me.

No comments: